What’s the buzz about collagen? You might have heard of collagen supplements or topical agents that boost collagen production and quality. Rejuvenating procedures include Rejuvapen, Morpheus8 , Thermage, Fraxel Dual, Clear + Brilliant and Juliet Erbium laser, and skin-tightening treatments, available through the aesthetics experts at Apex Dermatology, work by stimulating your natural collagen production levels.
From the state-of-the-art office in Westlake Village, California, Dr. Karin Harp MD, FAAD, FASDS, Dr. Aria Vazirnia MD, MAS, FAAD, Kristin Rupert PA-C, Mary Hanna MSN, NP-BC, Riley McCarthy BSN, RN, and the Apex Dermatology team can help you understand the role that collagen plays in your skin’s health, texture, volume, and appearance, and advise you on the best treatments to supplement and stimulate your collagen levels. Here’s what you need to know:
What is collagen?
Your body naturally produces collagen. Collagen proteins perform all sorts of functions and are found in your skin, muscles, tendons, and bones. Collagen is the most abundant protein in your whole body.
One of the visible functions of collagen can be seen in your skin texture and lift. In younger skin, high levels of collagen lead to an appearance of smooth fullness. The changes to your skin texture and suppleness that you can see in areas like your face and hands are due in part to reduced collagen, a natural consequence of the aging process.
In general, your collagen production levels decline with age. You may see lines and wrinkles in skin with reduced collagen, or hollowed cheeks and a gaunt appearance. Exposure to risk factors like sun, smoking and tanning beds can increase the rate of your collagen decline, causing premature aging.
If you’re not content with your skin’s appearance, collagen might be your answer. Talk to Dr. Harp, Dr. Aria, Kristin, Mary, Riley, Lani, and Kailey about treatments that could boost your collagen levels and revitalize your skin this Spring and Summer.
Collagen treatments and your skin
When your body stops producing enough of its own endogenous collagen, cosmetic treatment options can step in to improve your skin’s appearance. Focus your attention and efforts on proven treatments from your Board Certified Dermatology clinic through the offerings at Apex Dermatology.
We offer procedures to improve your skin’s collagen levels including:
- Acne scar reduction through Laser Genesis, subcision (scar release), Rejuvapen, Fraxel, or a combination series.
- Rejuvapen Microneedling- a cosmetic resurfacing treatment that stimulates increased collagen production in the weeks following your session, and can be repeated for optimal results.
- Radio-Frequency Microneedling with Morpheus 8- a more potent approach based on collagen induction science. Harness your body's natural healing ability to smooth and tighten while using controlled heat to build collagen and lift your skin. Treat face, neck, chest, and eyelids for lift and anti-aging.
- Fractional Laser Resurfacing options from the lighter treatment of Clear + Brilliant to the stronger effects of Fraxel Dual laser resurfacing, and even the robust de-wrinkling of Juliet Erbium laser.
- Skin-tightening treatments with the Thermage® FLX system for face, neck, eyelids or body.
- Skin tightening with fat reduction through TrusculptiD or Morpheus 8.
- Stretch mark reduction and scar remodeling through Morpheus 8, Fraxel or combination treatments.
To learn more about your options for preserving current youthful collagen levels or restoring lost collagen reserves and improving your overall skin quality and appearance, consult with Dr. Harp, Dr. Aria, Kristin, Mary, and Riley at Apex Dermatology now. The Board-Certified clinicians of Team Apex can advise you on the right procedure, or combination of procedures, to address skin care concerns including anti-aging, lines and wrinkles, sagging, scarring, pockmarks, and more. Not only will we build a custom plan for you to help you to achieve your goals for now and for the future, but we will also advise you on the best collagen-supporting skin care which can be accessed through our online store at apex-dermatology.myshopify.com or through our front desk.
Contact Apex Dermatology today to schedule your initial consultation appointment. You can book over the phone at any time.